Receive the "Two‑Minute‑Tuesday" Weekly Newsletter

    Share on

    Area InformationMoving to Englewood


    Establishing Residency

    Either the DMV Office or the Clerk of Court provides most government services in regards to establishing residency. For US Citizens, legal residency may be established by filing a Declaration of Domicile at the Sarasota County Clerk’s Office in the South County Annex Building in South Venice or at the Sarasota County Clerk’s Office in Sarasota, off of Main Street. Charlotte County residents can visit the Charlotte County Justice Center, in Punta Gorda.


    The DMV’s primary focus is that of licenses and tags for all transportation types, including cars, boats, motorcycles, trucks, RV’s and more. Both Sarasota and Charlotte County DMV’s provide vehicle registration, driver’s licenses, ID cards and tag and title services for all transportation methods.

    Car and Auto Insurance

    To register a vehicle, Florida Auto Insurance must be obtained with verification of the VIN number. Auto insurance should be purchased from an insurance company licensed by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.

    Voter Registration

    Registering to vote also establishes residency. You can register to vote at the Supervisor of Elections Offices. Non-U.S. Citizens should contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for information on obtaining permanent residency.

    Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections Offices

    Englewood / West County Annex
    6868 San Casa Drive, Englewood
    (941) 681-3717
    Main Office
    Charlotte County Courthouse
    226 Taylor Street, Punta Gorda
    (941) 833-5400
    Murdock Annex
    Charlotte County Administration Bld.
    18500 Murdock Circle, Port Charlotte
    (941) 743-1387

    Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections Offices

    The Terrace Building
    101 S. Washington Blvd., Sarasota
    (941) 861-8600
    Robert L. Anderson Administration Center
    4000 Tamiami Trail S. Rm. 114, Venice
    (941) 861-3760

    For more information on DMV services for Charlotte County, please visit www.flhsmv.gov/locations/charlotte/.
    For more information on DMV services for Sarasota County, please visit www.flhsmv.gov/locations/sarasota/.